Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Arriving at The Hyatt Regency San Antonio

I flew from Columbus to San Antonio with a brief (somewhat delayed) stop in Houston. The trip was largely uneventful. I am attending the 30th Annual Academic Chairpersons Conference with my Department Chair Dr. Kody Kuehnl. My goal is to gain some perspective on how I can more effectively lead my program as the program chair of the IDPT program at Franklin University.

Dr. Joel Gardner at Hyatt Regency Hotel, San Antonio, Texas
Dr. Joel Gardner at Hyatt Regency Hotel, San Antonio, Texas
The rooms are very nice and I am grateful for the opportunity I have to take advantage of professional development opportunities such as this conference. In my experience, Franklin University and its leadership are generous in their development of their faculty, and I have greatly benefited from this generosity.

Tomorrow we will attend a full-day pre-conference workshop for new academic chairs called the New Chair Alliance. It should be a good introduction to the practice of academic administration. I am not sure what to expect, but I am hopeful that it will be a meaningful experience that will help me move forward as an effective leader and administrator of my program.

No comments: