Wednesday, May 8, 2013

30-day Challenges

I am a very goal-oriented person. I am always looking for something new to work toward, something to focus my energy on and achieve. This is one reason that I have worked hard to earn many higher education degrees. It is the same reason that I am constantly reading, writing, and moving.

30-day Challenges

I have come across a couple of blogs and videos lately that highlight the idea of doing 30-day challenges. For example, this video:


Because I am slightly obsessed with learning, goal-setting, and pushing myself to do new things, I think I will try this out for the next few months to see what comes of it. I'll write about my experiences here. My plan is that when I commit to a challenge, I will work to complete the challenge during the challenge period, though I might not necessarily do a challenge every month.

My First Challenge: Whole Foods, Plant-Based Diet - May 1 through May 31

For my first 30-day challenge, which I already started beginning in May, I am going to eat a "Whole Foods, Plant-Based Diet." What does that mean? It means eating no animal products, including meat, fish, eggs, milk, or cheese. I am eating only plant-based foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, and grains. It has gone pretty well so far.

Why am I doing this particular challenge? First, for personal health and well-being. I've been exposed to some research that indicates that animal-based proteins are directly related to obesity and many chronic diseases. In contrast, a vegetable-based diet appears to help one achieve a sense of well-being, weight loss, and a significant decrease in risk for cancer and other terrible diseases.

Additionally, as a practicing Mormon, I already adhere to a fairly strict health code called the Word of Wisdom. Because of this code, I do not drink coffee, tea or alcohol, nor do I smoke or use recreational drugs. The Word of Wisdom also recommends eating meat "sparingly," which reinforces my desire to eat in this manner. I believe that spiritual benefits will also come as a result of this challenge. I plan to report on my progress and success at the end of May.

Future Challenges
Here are some of my ideas for future challenges.


  • Do 50 pushups a day for 30 days.
  • Send 30 real letters to friends and associates in 30 days (thank you cards, compliments, etc.)
  • study a totally new topic or skill I'd like to master for 30 days.
  • draw or paint a picture each day for 30 days.
  • read the entire New Testament or Book of Mormon in 30 days.
  • do an extra act of kindness for someone each day.
  • work out 6x a week for 30 days.
  • 30 days of 30 minutes of meditation, study, and prayer.
  • 30 days no complaining.
  • 30 days no television or movies.
  • read 6 new books in 30 days.
  • write a novel or book in 30 day. Apparently this is already a thing.

Any other challenge suggestions? My goal is to do things that I believe will help me enjoy a more fulfilling life physically, mentally, or spiritually... We'll see how it goes!

No comments: