Monday, June 2, 2014

Sabbatical Road Trip!

As I mentioned in a previous post, we have been traveling to Utah for my work during my sabbatical. I am going to serve as a visiting scholar at at Utah State University's Center for Innovative Design and Instruction. We traveled along I-70 and crossed several states in the process. Here are a few photos from the trip.

Here I am with my lovely wife and daughter en route to Logan, Utah.

We drove our Kia Soul and loaded our belongings on the top of the vehicle using a Roofbag.  Things went great until we hit a rainstorm and the straps that held it down allowed water to flow into the car. I was totally soaked as we traveled down the freeway. It was pretty hilarious.



Our great friend Lynn McDowell, my wife Katie, my daughter CK, and me at the LDS Church Visitor's Center in Independence Missouri.
My family and I are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and we decided to stop in Independence, Missouri at the LDS Church's Visitor's Center, there. The location has some historical and future significance for the church, and it was fun to learn some of the history.
The temple of the Community of Christ Church in Independence, Missouri.

An awesome bridge that we crossed. I think it was in St. Louis, though I can't say for certain.
Katie talking with the police about the old guy who drove off the road.
When we were driving through Kansas, there was an older gentleman who was weaving his car into and out of several lanes. We eventually passed him, and as we did we looked back and saw him drive his car into the median. He bumped his way along there for a while and then came to a stop. He started to drive again, so I got out of the car and yelled at him to pull over. He promptly flipped me off and continued down the freeway. By this time, several cars were following him and had called the police. We followed him until he was pulled over, and Katie went and told the officers what we had seen. A pretty exciting diversion from the monotony of a long drive. :)

Future Drive
So far, we have traveled across the United States using I-80 and I-70. I think this next trip back to Ohio we will travel using I-90. It will be a bit of a detour, but it will be pretty fun to see new places and things. I really enjoyed going through some new states on the way to Utah, and I look forward to seeing more!

No comments: