Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What is Human Performance Technology?

#ISPI2012 
I am on my way to ISPI's Performance Performance Improvement Conference 2012. What will I be learning at the upcoming Principles and Practices of Human Performance Technology workshop? The ISPI website defines Human Performance Technology:
"Human Performance Technology (HPT), a systematic approach to improving productivity and competence, uses a set of methods and procedures -- and a strategy for solving problems -- for realizing opportunities related to the performance of people. More specific, it is a process of selection, analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation of programs to most cost-effectively influence human behavior and accomplishment. It is a systematic combination of three fundamental processes: performance analysis, cause analysis, and intervention selection, and can be applied to individuals, small groups, and large organizations."

I have a pretty solid grasp of the basic steps and phases described in this definition. What will likely be new to me are the methods and procedures used. I have spent many years of my life working to improve my own performance as an individual in my personal and professional life. I am also very familiar with systematic processes for achieving results. So I think that I have a good foundation for what I am about to learn.

1 comment:

Mrs. G said...

I am looking for some ways to incorporate HPT in educational professional development. Do you have any suggestions?